Some called it a passing phase, others said it wouldn't last, many thought it was the new 'thing' and that some other new tech phoenomenan would bypass it but no no no. How wrong they were. Social media is here to stay my friends and prepare yourselves for it to get stronger and stronger. You have been warned.
No matter what industry you are working in, social media, we cannot stress this enough, has to be encompassed in your marketing strategy. You need to be where your customers are.
1) Did you know that 37% of consumers access social media through their phones? If you didn't then CATCH UP, every piece of web content that you create needs to be optimized for mobile usage, it's as simple as that.
2) In May alone (of 2011) over 31 million people in the U.S watched video content on social networks and blogs - an interactive way to boost your website's attraction, people love video.
3) Tumblr just about tripled its unique U.S audience last year - mediums such as this should never be overlooked. Remember a good marketer leaves no stone unturned.
4) 56% of mobile users value the GPS capabilities of their phones the most. Location based services are a great way to connect with your local clientèle.
5) 53% of active social networkers follow a brand - it could be yours, what's stopping you?
6) Open your eyes to social networks because in May of 2011 users spent more time on Facebook than Google, Yahoo, AOL and MSN combined. This is our world.
All statistics in this report are according to Nielson's Media Research Firm Q3 Report in 2011.